Saturday, November 13, 2010

El Skitzo's Triumph Chopper

I lurk on plenty of motorcycle related websites readin' and creepin'. I love reading about people who build their own bikes. Especially people who don't really know what they are doing when they get started, but are brave enough to dive in anyway. I guess I am a bit jealous because I don't often have the courage to rip into my stuff whether it be my bike, truck, or one of my guitars. Sheridan (El Skitzo as he is known on the interwebs) is not like me. He decided he wanted a custom bike and did it. He built a sweet bobber out on a Kawasaki vn800 (more on that bike in an upcoming post) and then built the sweet ride you see below. Skitzo told me: "The Kawasaki Bobber (VN800) was my first bike ever. I'd never ridden bikes before this one, and never worked on bikes before this one, but I knew I wanted to customise something into a cool old school looking bike so I had to start some where."  

That was then, but this is where he is now...I'll let him describe this awesome Triumph!
 
This bike was originally built about 20 years ago, and was very well built and has been well maintained over the years, but was a real ugly duckling when I found it. Thankfully for me there wasn't much in the way of repair work to be done, and I could focus on what I do best which was the cosmetic upgrades.The experience I'd gained off the Kawasaki build was invaluable and with this bike I expanded my skill set even further and gained some great new highly skilled contacts too, as there is a lot more custom one off parts and fabrication involved in this bike.
 The bike is running a T140V 750cc engine backed by a right side shift 5 speed. It's kick start only and the battery has been eliminated altogether. The rigid frame is a one off custom that was made here in Australia and the quality is top notch!
 



 There's still a couple of little changes I wouldn't mind making to it, but for now I'm just enjoying riding and showing it, both of which it does well at. I don't know if there's another bike in my future but I certainly hope there is. I feel the last step up for me now is to do another rigid chopper but running a Shovelhead or a Panhead. I think I've learned enough now from what I've done in the past to make that final step up, so we'll see what happens...

Thanks for the pics, words, and inspiration!!!  - pcm

No comments:

Post a Comment