Saturday, November 20, 2010

Kyuss my ass

I first heard Kyuss sometime in the early nineties on a free sampler cassette I picked up at the westside Karma (a local record store located at 38th and High School Road in Indianapolis...go see Worm there). I thought they sucked.  But at the time i was probably freaking out on rage against the machine or something. Not that there is anything wrong with that i guess...Well I haven't listened to RATM in years but have since come around and rock Kyuss on the regular. I also dig most of the bands that spawned from Kyuss. But recently I caught wind of a Kyuss reunion. Might be old news? i dunno... I don't like band reunions. I get tempted to check them out, but usually don't end up going because i don't want to be disappointed and have it spoil the band's music for me. I've probably missed out on a lot but whatever (I didn't go see Sleep... i'm a huge fan.. Sleep related tattoo and all, but i don't give a shit about seeing them live now really. I heard the shows were great, though, so i probably fucked up). I just don't get the whole reuniting of bands i guess. "It was what it was. Leave it alone." are usually my thoughts on the matter. I recently did a couple shows with an old band I was in because a couple of the guys really wanted to do it for whatever reason and had talked about it for years. I had not much interest in doing it but went along to be a good sport. Don't get me wrong, the shows were fun and awesomely received, but whats the point? Money? fuck that... reliving the glory days? no interest, fuck that. Nobody liked us then, but we got popular when we broke up? nah...  Anyway, i digress a bit. Kyuss is apparently reuniting as Kyuss Lives, but without Josh Homme. To me he's pretty much a key figure with him and John Garcia being the only constants if I'm not mistaken. Now, I realize that he has tons of money and is famous now, and his old band mates could probably use the dough that this will generate, but still... to me it just doesn't seem right. I think Homme's quote on the matter sums up how I feel about this stuff in general:
"The offers come in all the time. They're getting more and more expensive, and more and more elaborate. The money is crazy, but I've never been tempted – I don't really care about the money, I never have. That's not what Kyuss was about, so to punctuate the end of our sentence with that would be blasphemy...Kyuss has such a great history that it would be a total error. I like that nobody saw Kyuss, and that it was largely misunderstood. That sounds like a legend forming to me. I'm too proud of it to rub my dick on it." 
 With that being said, if Kyuss Lives ever comes to Indy, I'll most likely be there... - pcm

No comments:

Post a Comment